Tykocin Castle, Łukasz Nazarko

OFFER

  • Visiting the castle
  • Restaurant – traditional Old Polish cuisine
  • Occasional events
  • Accommodation in a castle

The castle in Tykocin was reconstructed on the foundations of the sixteenth-century royal castle of the King of Poland and the Grand Duke of Lithuania – Zygmunt August. The reconstruction of the mass was carried out on the basis of archaeological data and historical sources. The area of ​​the castle has also been carefully examined for archaeological reasons. The currently functioning part of the castle includes – the southern wing with towers: Turma and Rogowa and a part of the north-west wing. In the reconstruction is the White Tower and part of the northern wing. The castle has a Museum, Restaurant and Guest Rooms. The most interesting episodes of the history of the building include, among others: the castle was for several months the necropolis of the late monarch Zygmunt August The great humanist of the Renaissance was in the castle – Tykocin starost – Łukasz Górnicki There were also kings: Zygmunt III with his family, Władysław IV and Tsar of Russia Piotr I In the castle of August II Mocny established the ORDER OF THE WHITE WHITE During the Swedish Deluge, Janusz Radziwiłł stayed at the castle and died. Paweł Sapieha won the Swedes. The castle was awarded to Stefan Czarniecki. Jan Klemens Branicki in the middle of the XVIII demolished the castle for the first historical owners of the Narwia Island, where today stands the Castle, a rich family of Lithuanian magnates – Gasztołdowie. They built a wooden stronghold here, which a few dozen years later fell victim to the envy of nearby neighbors – Radziwiłł – and it burnt down completely. The Gasztolds soon lost much more – the family expired in 1542 and their fortune fell to the rulers of Poland and Lithuania. It is at this moment that the royal history of this place begins, in the background of which the figure of the famous Barbara Radziwiłłówna appears. When young Zygmunt August received a fall after Gasztołdach, he decided to build, on the ruins of their stronghold in Tykocin, a large brick castle. Thanks to the surrounding waters and the Narew swamps it was an excellent defense system. It is important enough to create the largest arsenal of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth of the end of the 16th century and for the next half a century to invest in its development and expansion. Would subsequent kings invest so much of their valuable money if this place was irrelevant to them? And it so happens that the rulers eagerly visited the Tykocin castle. Zygmunt August, Stefan Batory, two Wazowie: Zygmunt III and Władysław IV, August II Mocny and even the famous tsar of Russia – Piotr Wielki. One of them even stayed for a while after his death. Which? This you will learn by visiting the Tykocin Castle. In addition to hosting rulers for their lives and even after death – like Wawel itself – the Tykocin fortress was a witness to yet another adventure, culminating in an extremely important event. In November 1705, during the Great Northern War August II Mocny, after a very dangerous journey, he reached the Castle, where he was received by Piotr Wielki. The Tsar received the King of the Polish Republic in the Polish castle! However, this is not the end – it was at that time, at the Castle in Tykocin, that August II gave the Order of the White Eagle for the first time – to this day, the oldest and the highest Polish decoration. Thus, it can be seen that wars also did not bypass our Castle: from the Swedish Deluge, through the war for Polish succession, to the January Uprising. Over the centuries, there have been four battles for Tykocin. Interestingly, two of them ended in the destruction of the Castle. Finally dismantled from 1734 and gradually falling into ruin and oblivion, he almost ended up in the “dustbin of history”. Fortunately, thanks to the long and arduous scientific research and the reconstruction works that began at the turn of the 20th and 21st centuries, we can now admire the western and southern parts of the Tykocin Castle: the underground, the excellent Glass Hall or the prison tower

Adres: Tykocin, ul. Puchalskiego 3
Telefon: +48 726 520 777
Strona www: http://zamekwtykocinie.pl

Current prices please check with the owner of the object.

<< Back to: Pantry Białostocka

RestaurantEducationAccommodations