The Jewish house of prayer, the synagogue, stood at this location. Mention is made in 17th century documents of Jews living in Leipalingis, but a community took shape in 1847, when 5 Jewish families were resettled here from Merkinė. The tsarist Russian authorities allocated plots of land for economic activity and for building a synagogue. Several Jewish organisations were active: the Zionist youth society “Gordonija” and local sections of the ethnic societies “Betar” and “Mizrachi”. 152 of the town’s Jews were held in the synagogue in August 1941; on 11 September 1941, they were taken beyond the Leipalingis Catholic cemetery and shot. Four other Jews were executed later. A total of 156 Jews were killed.
Current prices please check with the owner of the object.